Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hunter's Special Day

Hunter was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on August 30th, his eighth birthday. Every time I look at the pictures, I think of a song that I learned as a kid:

"This is my day, my baptism day.

Jesus was baptized the very same way.

Maybe I'm little and maybe I'm young,

And maybe my learning has only begun,

But Heavenly Father, I'm doing my best,

Just lead me and guide me, and I'll do the rest."


In some ways, he really did look young to me that day. The last eight years leading to this milestone have flown by so very quickly. And in some ways, he looked so grown up to me that day. He was so excited. We had his birthday party the might before so that it wouldn't detract from the importance of his baptism day.

This is just a little piece of the journal entry that I wrote the day after the service. I don't know why, but I feel compelled to share it.

He really did seem little and young to me yesterday, but so handsome and wondeful. Ty and I gave him new scriptures yesterday morning as a baptism day gift, and he treasured them. It made my heart swell to see him so excited about that blue leather quad. He took them to the church for the service, and wouldn't let them out of his sight. He took such good care of them. He was so excited to be baptized, and he was ready. My favorite moment of the morning was watching him with Tyler in the font. The water was sparkling, and Tyler's face looked so peaceful and strong and righteous as he recited the baptismal prayer. And then Hunter went under the water and it was done! After he changed into his dry clothes and came to sit with me I asked him how he felt. He beamed at me and said "Happy!". I was happy too.


My two handsome men. Hunter was baptized and confirmed by his dad.


On the steps at the church. Eight years ago we stood on these same steps for a family picture when Hunter was blessed.





We were blessed to have many people at the baptism that are important in Hunter's life. Thanks to Mandi for getting all the family pictures.


Nana and Papa Whitmill

Nana and Papa Monson


Great Grandma Klaversma


Chris, Nikki, Jake, Brayden, and Logan


Travis, Allison, Shane, Jace, and Brett


Tom, Jenn, Tori, Lizzie, and Owen

Mandi, Marlee, and Makenna

Hunter-Man, we are so very proud of you! Thank you for setting the example for your two little sisters, and for being such a good friend at church and at school. We know that you are on the right track, just keep holding to that iron rod. We love you!!

9 comments:

Jenny said...

I loved seeing the pictures of his blessing day and his baptism day. I cant believe how fast they grow up. It adds some perspective after having just blessed our baby. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Kari said...

Congratulations dear Hunter! What a wonderful reflection you posted Angie. These are the milestones that make life all the 'more'.

Tiffany said...

I also loved that you put the blessing pics up there as well. And looking back...you sure were a trooper to bless Hunter just a couple of days after he was born. Good job getting out of the house so that we could all be there. :)

Hunter man, I'm so proud of you! You're AWESOME!!

Mandi said...

What a cool experience to get to be there for my "little mans" baptism. And those old school blessing day pics rock! I almost couldn't figure out whoch one was me til I saw some big BLEACH blonde hair in the mix. Yikes...
Love you HK...you are a stud.

oodlesofoversons said...

Congrats, Hunter! I remember the day you were blessed...seems like yesterday! It's crazy how fast time flies!

oodlesofoversons said...

p.s....as a note to Mandi, remember how Syd fell asleep on your legs while watching tv? So cute!

Mandi said...

Ha ha. I do remember that! Can you believe how mcuh she has changed? CRAZY!

Bethany said...

Congrats Hunter! With such wonderful family surrounding you, you are sure to succeed in all you do. What a great little man.

Anonymous said...

Hunter, you are such a great example to your sisters! Keep it up. We are so sad we missed it and wish we were there to be a part of your special day.