Sunday, August 17, 2008

Changes

Those of you who know me know how much I love change. And by that I mean, I absolutely hate it! But at times in our lives, it becomes necessary to make a change. And as my dad always used to say to me, "If you live through it, you learn from it". Well, the last few weeks have brought a lot of living and learning to our house. Let me start at the beginning...



We got back from our reunion at Snow Mountain Ranch and had messages from a counselor in the stake presidency and from the stake executive secretary. In my opinion, that is never a good thing! When Tyler returned the calls, they asked if he could meet with them that night and bring me along. A call was extended, and that Sunday on July 27th Tyler was sustained as the second counselor in our ward's bishopric. The timing of the call was a great blessing, because Ty's parents were still here in town and his dad was able to ordain him to the office of High Priest before they left to go back to Illinois. I know that was no coincidence. I also know that Tyler will be great in this new calling, and I have all the confidence in the world in him, probably more than he has in himself!



Tyler's new calling, of course, meant that I had to be released from mine, a fact that I know to be true but that has nonetheless brought me much heartache over the last three weeks. I have been serving as the Young Women President for almost three years. I have seen the ward change, soemthing that I struggled through along with my girls. I have become very attached, for better or worse, and don't even think twice about referring to them as "my girls". I love each and every one of them! Many of us have had the blessing in our lives of having a calling where you pour in hours of work, as well as heart and soul. This has been one of those callings for me, and it makes saying good bye that much harder. However, after having our family do "double duty" for just three weeks, I know why it needs to be this way. The kids have been with Nana every mutual night, and got farmed out for Tyler and I to both go to ward council last week. They are ready for someone to stay home with them when the other has to go attend to church responsibilities. My sweet Lily bug has been especially tender lately when I leave on Tuesday nights, with many tears, and I know that she is ready for mom to come home.



So, today our lives will change again when I am released. I won't post this until tonight after this has taken place, but I had a minute this morning and was feeling introspective in anticipation of the changes to come. Now, if I could just fly under the radar for a while before a new calling is extended, I think I could handle that!

6 comments:

Jill said...

Good luck flying under the radar with Tyler in your house!

I'm going to miss you in YW--it'll be really weird without you and Vanessa there!

Vanessa said...

Oh lady, I am right there with you!

Bethany said...

Tyler will do a fabulous job and you deserve a break!
We need to get together for dinner or something again. Maybe after kids are in school we can do lunch.
Call me.

oodlesofoversons said...

That is so bitter sweet. Mostly, good luck sitting by yourself in Sacrament mtgs. manning all the kids. I guess Sophie's getting older, but that has been the biggest challenge for me!! Tyler will be awesome and as hard as it is to say goodbye to a calling and the girls you have served, it will be nice to have a breather...probably a short breather ;0)

Unknown said...

I happened across your blog from Bethany's and was so excited to see how you and your family are doing! Looks like life is exciting as ever there! We too now have a Lily, she came along almost 3 years after we moved here to Castle Rock! Thanks for letting me peek in at your blog, hope we can now keep in touch.

Kari said...

Darn changes! They just never stop. Tyler will be awesome and somehow I think you 'rest' won't be too long. You guys just have to much to teach the rest of us!!