Sunday, November 9, 2008

Heartbreak

I think I might have the sweetest eight year-old boy in the world living in my house. As I mentioned, today is stake conference, and Hunter woke up sick. I thought he realized that he wouldn't get to go to Stake Conference today. He refused breakfast, (a total anomaly), and then went back to bed without mention of a book to read or asking to watch TV. He is most definitely not feeling well. He watched Tyler put on his suit and tie and head out to the church alone. But then at 10:02, (Conference started at 10:00), he looked at me absolutely horrorstruck. He said "Mom, its' 10:00!!", and I said I knew. He started to panic and said "But Stake Conference starts at 10:00!!" He was absolutely devastated. He started to sob. He told me he could get dressed so fast, and asked would I PLEASE load up the girls and quickly drive him to the church. He told me I wouldn't even have to go into the building or get the girls out of their seats, he could do it all by himself as long as I would drive him there. I told him he was too sick to go, and with tears streaming down his face, he begged me to let him go to the church. He assured me, through his half closed, glassy eyes and tear stained, fever reddened cheeks, that he felt better. He promised that he felt fine, even though I could tell he didn't. He was absolutely beside himself. We had to sneak upstairs and have a prayer together so that I could get him to settle down enough to speak again. He was heartbroken, and so was I. I had no idea that he wanted to go so badly, or that he didn't understand that he had to stay home. What a wonderful child. I was truly humbled by his sweet spirit, his tender heart that longs so completely to do what his Heavenly Father wants him to do. I am awestruck by his faith, his dilligence, and his obedience. And I am eternally grateful that he is my "little man".

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hunter is the sweetest. I'm not gonna lie...I didn't even think twice about not going to church today. I guess that's why we're always told to "become as a little child". :) Give him lots of hugs and kisses from me! :)

Mandi said...

Oh my goodness, reading that made me teary! He is such a special little guy. He has always been one of my favorite boys on the planet. I am so proud of the not-so "little man" he is turning into. Kiss that stud for me, hope he feels better!