Thursday, October 9, 2008

Having Flashbacks

We were at my mom and dad's for Sunday dinner this past weekend and my mom pulled out a dusty box of old books from the basement. It was like finding buried treasure! I have always loved to read, and some of the books in that box brought back such memories. Among them were The Babysitters Club, Sweet Valley Twins, Choose Your Own Adventures, and Encyclopedia Brown. But the real treasures were the two series of books that delighted me as a kid. I can remember reading for hours and being as happy as could be.


I absolutely LOVED the Anne of Green Gables series when I was young. If you have never read these, you might think about it. I have decided to reread these treasures twenty something years later and see if I love them as much now as I did then.

The Little House on the Prairie books were my other favorites. I've read them over and over. Thanks to the Hallmark Channel, Lily has recently been introduced to the Little House tv series. When she saw the books she was so excited and immediately asked if I would read them to her. Absolutely!!


OK, this CD wasn't in the box of dusty books, but deserves a shout out from my childhood. We had Power Tunes on a cassette tape when I was a kid. I am sure I played the tape in my rockin' purple boom box. Ah, those were the days. Anyway, if you haven't heard these songs they are worth a look for your kids. They are cheesy, corny, dorky, and goofy, and my kids LOVE them just as much as I did. The songs have titles like "Attitude", "Determination", and "Family". When I saw this on the Deseret Book website last fall I knew my kiddos had to have it.

So now, when you leave me a comment, tell me one or two things that give you flashbacks!

4 comments:

This Girl said...

Those are all the books that I loved as a kid too. Especially Sweet Valley Twins, those were the days!

oodlesofoversons said...

The minute you said Sweet alley Twins, my heart skipped a beat. Seriously! That's so fun that you found those! And thanks for the shout out for the tunes...maybe we'll try them. Anything encouraging good behavior is fabulous around here ;0)

Vanessa said...

Little House on the Prarie was and is one of my favorites. I told my kids this one day as we were watching the show on Hallmark, Carter asked me how I liked being a pioneer when I was little, you know in the olden days:)

Kari said...

Yes, I love all those books too! I also loved those sunfire girls historical books that all had names, 'Caroline', 'Sabrina', 'Elizabeth' etc..

Now I just need to figure out some good boys books for my guys. Any suggestions? :)