Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's all in a days work...

Sometimes its seems like my days are all the same. And then I stop and really think about it, and I realize that they are in some ways all very different. Every day brings a new set of smiles, tears, fights, struggles, losses and victories. Here's a sampling of a few of my favorite recent moments...

Watching an old episode of The Gilmore Girls with Lily...
Lily: "Mom! Lane is dying her hair purple!"
Mom: (thinking that there is a teaching opportunity here somewhere - I don't want Lily seeing purple hair in her future) "Ya, Lane is a silly girl, isn't she? Why would she dye her hair purple?"
Lily: "I know!! If she was going to dye it, why wouldn't she dye it PINK!"



Sophie is a house wrecker, and consequently spends most of her waking time gated in the family room. Tyler is there with her the other day, and I am in the kitchen trying to fix dinner. Sophie is standing at the gate SCREAMING "MOM!! MOM!!" Then it gets quiet. She has decided to take matters into her own hands...




Lily came home from preschool the other day with two great works of art. She was so proud. The conversation went like this:
Lily: "Mom, I made this at school today!"
Mom: "It's lovely! It's very...colorful...and...original. What is it a picture of?"
Lily: "These are called splats. Do you like my splats? I'm a good splatter, aren't I mom!!"



Sophie figured out yesterday how to pull a stool up to the fridge and press the ice dispenser button on the front. She LOVES ice. The only problem is, she just stands there holding the button down while the ice scatters all over the floor. So, being the clever girl that she is, she went and dug an empty pop can out of the trash can and tried to fill it from the dispenser. What a mess!
And then of course, there is Hunter. As I was writing this I realized that I didn't have any recent Hunter funny moments, and it made me sad when I realized that part of that is because he is getting "old", and part of it is because he spends as much of his day at school as he spends home with me. I miss him! However, we did watch "The Game Plan" a couple of weeks ago, and he has been doing Elvis impersonations ever since. It's hard to explain here, but next time you see him, ask to see his Elvis.

8 comments:

oodlesofoversons said...

I LOVE this, Angie. Thanks for reminding me what it's all about (as Ethan is taking all the pots and pans out and banging htem on the floor ;0)

Jill said...

You are always so good about making me think of the good side of these kinds of things. Now...if I could just learn to do it on my own!

Tiffany said...

That's so great! You're right...it is great to be a mom!! :)

Mandi said...

HA! So, this post had me laughing out loud! I could see or hear all of that in my head! I love the pink hair thing...she is SO my niece! Soph....well...Soph is Soph. Can't wait to see the little trouble maker.

This Girl said...

That baby gate looks like Todd and Lara's when their 50 lb. lab gets done with it. How did such a little thing do all that?

This Girl said...

I just saw that you commented on the backgrounds and I forgot to put on that page that they work best if you change your background to the blogger "minima" background. Hope this helps. Glad you like them.

Anonymous said...

I think this story would make for a good Homestar Runner submission, pictures and all. Could you imagine the drawings of Lily with pink hair saying "splat" over and over again or Sophie's head on a Trogdor body burninating the gate down? Does that site even still exist? Hunter would have some ridiculous costume I'm sure. This post woke up my imagination for some reason. Everyday life is sometimes more funny than the best joke ever!

Troy said...

That is some nice work done on the gate. Good work Sophie!