Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Luck of the Irish


This holiday holds a special place in my heart, and it certainly is a lucky day for me, (even though I'm not Irish!). Twelve years ago today, I became a fiance. It went like this...

Tyler and I went out on our first date on January 17, 1997. In February we drove from Provo to Denver for President's Day weekend, an excuse for Ty to meet my family. And then in March, we used his dad's birthday as an excuse to fly to Chicago together and meet his family. At the time, I don't think either of us saw this as crazy, it felt exactly right. I am sure everyone else thought we were crazy though! On March 17, 1997 Tyler took me to downtown Chicago, where they dye the river green for St. Patrick's Day.

We went to the Art Insitute together, and then he took me down to lake Michigan. We walked to the end of a pier, and he knelt down and read me a poem that he had written, and asked me if I would marry him. It had been two months to the day since our first date! Obviously I said yes! It was a picture perfect day.

Little did I know then what our future would look like, and much of it still remains to be seen. However, the last twelve years have brought us three beautiful children and many smiles. I feel extremely blessed to be married to such a wonderful man, a great father, a loving patriarch, and a man who honors his priesthood. I am so grateful that he asked, and that I was smart enough to say yes.

Happy St. Patrick's Day sweetheart!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm glad you guys got married too. But one question: if Lily comes to you engaged after knowing a guy for 2 months...how will you feel? ;)

Kari said...

I never heard this story before. Who knew St. Paddy's could be romantic?

oodlesofoversons said...

So cute...thanks for the story. Darin and I were engaged on St. Patty's Day too...weird!! Love you guys!