Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Seriously?!?!

He's eight. My little man, that is. And it's January in Colorado. And it was like seventy degrees outside today. Playing outside is a given, right? His aunt called to invite him to the park, and I had to say no. He's EIGHT YEARS OLD, and he has been doing his homework since we got home at three. And he's still doing it. And he's not close to finished. And he is a quick study. I feel like the worst mom in the world, denying him of this beautiful afternoon. And I am really starting to wonder about this CSAP crap. You see, he's a third grader, so this will be his first year taking the test. The overabundance of homework is attributed to the test. I would like to strangle the test! My little boy, (who I am admittedly trying to keep young as long as possible), doesn't get to be a kid today because he's got way to much freakin' homework. AAHHH!! I guess I am a little more bitter about it than I realized. And don't even get me started on my tirade about how the district has decided he no longer qualifies for services with the speech/language pathologist. The kid is working his tail off, heaven forbid they give him a little bit of help. Oh, and by the way, he hasn't uttered one word of complaint about not getting to play outside. What a kid.

P.S. Forty-five minutes later...he is finally done. He came racing down the stairs to ask permission to go out back. He's been looking forward to it quietly all afternoon. I just told his sister no, and when I told him this he just sat down on the stairs and started to cry. So I said, "Hurry up, put on your jacket, and go shoot some hoops. And oh ya, I'm proud of you."

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hunter's the best. I love that little kid. Also, I hate standardized testing.

Hey Ang--I need to call you sometime, or you call me. One of my best friends is a speech/language pathologist and she said she would be more than happy to get me some practices to give you that you guys can work on at home for him. Also, she says your school district should be helping him and thinks its SUPER LAME that they're not (actually, it makes her mad). Anyway, we need to talk sometime. I love you guys and your kids and miss you all!

Jenn said...

He is such a good kid, and you are a good mom. Sometimes those rules about fairness and consistency should be strictly adhered to...other times they should be tossed out the window!!! Way to go HK, and way to go Mom!

Collin said...

I agree. Way to go mom. That was definitely the right call. He is such a sweet boy. You know I have LOVED him since the day he was born. He is so smart, and SOMETIMES he is mature beyond his years. Kiss him for me. I am glad he got to "be a kid" at least for a while...
Mandi

This Girl said...

That was one thing that I didn't like about that district. They seemed too focused on their numbers and not enough on the kids being kids. I was so upset last year when Parley only got one recess. He was in first grade!! This year he get two recesses and it seems to help him a lot.

Hopefully Hunter can get through the testing and get back to being a kid very soon.

oodlesofoversons said...

That is so frustrating! We don't have tests like that and I still feel like my 3rd grader spends so much time doing homework! You're a good Mom...

Heather said...

Wow! What an amazing kid! Angie, I feel you about the homework, I have been frustrated for years.